Gold Cup Winner Sidelined for Season

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gold Cup Winner Sidelined for Season

Post by Penniless Punter on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Coneygree injured reports trainer Sarah Bradstock.

Penniless Punter

Back to top Go down

Re: Gold Cup Winner Sidelined for Season

Post by hugo on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:04 pm

I hate this kind of story, as its both sad and exciting..

If it was Formula 1 (which Im not particularly interested in, but understand it's technicalities) then Coneygree would be a vehicle, and it'd be exciting news...

The fact it is a horse still kinda makes it exciting, it was obviously training... perhaps being re-trained in some way or having it's abilities tested (a bit like a F1 car) .. so its exciting that it has incurred an injury, it means that at some level, somewhere, someone was trying to innovate... improve... evolutionise ...

but at another level .. its a horse... it undoubtedly has a personality and a certain degree of feelings.. i'm sad that its been injured because as a human, i like watching horses being ridden against each other, and another human is trying to capitalize on that and create the next 'best thing' ...

exciting... but sad....

Last edited by hugo on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed the 're-' out of re-trained)
hugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Penniless Punter on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:35 pm

You raise an interesting point, HPK. Can a trainer train a horse to want to win races?
You can train seals to balance balls on their snouts and clap themselves - some apes can be trained to work out how to get food by pushing buttons in certain orders, etc etc
Some horses try harder than others but the question remains can they be trained to want to win? I don't know.
Any idea anyone?

Penniless Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick on Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:33 pm

No idea what the answer is to your question charles. Tough race the gold cup, a very tough race. Personally i never bet on a horse thats raced in the gold cup before. Gold cup winners subsequent records are dreadful.

I guess 3m2f at cheltenham with the best staying chasers is even more incredibly physically demanding than we realise.

Last edited by Patrick on Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : improving post)

Patrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Penniless Punter on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Coneygree's still comparatively young.
I suggest more horses have won the Gold Cup more than once than have won any other race after winning the Gold Cup in recent time.

Last edited by Dancing Brave on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar correction)

Penniless Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:57 pm

The point i made was made to me two years ago and, at first i poured scorn on it. However then i thought about it. In my time watching the sport, only Kauto Star has well and truly kept performing at his best for a prolonged period of time after winning the gold cup.

Denman-had an irregular heart beat the summer after winning the gold cup. Was still brilliant after but was he the same? Id say not quite

Imperial Commander-Barely ever finished a race again

Long Run-Amazing to think he's only 10. Ran well in the betfair chase and king george the year after but one further grade 1 win (2012 king george) is a poor return for a 181 rated gold cup winner.

Synchronised-Sadly put down after grand national

Bosb Worth-won a weak lexus chase and only 4th the next years gold cup

Lord Windermere- Pulled up in last yeras gold cup

Coneygree-Injured again.

To be fair, he is so tough. Would be great to see him bounce back again but will be hard. I considered it an interesting way of looking at it personally. Each to their own I guess Smile

Patrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Penniless Punter on Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:01 am

Apologies Patrick, I'm getting the Gold Cup and Grand National winners mixed up.
Only two GRAND NATIONAL winners in recent time have ever won another race post their Aintree wins.

Penniless Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Patrick on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:02 am

No worries charles. Yeah the grand national is possibly a tough one to bounce back from as well. Although national winning trainers who campaign their defending champions over hurdles until after the weights are revealed confuse me. Their horse has won the national, a handicap, so therefore by definition their horse will have to carry more weight the next year. So the trainers are protecting a higher mark. I've never understood why. Last year Pineau De Re was never winning off a rating of 151 so why preserve that mark?

Patrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum