Weather Watch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weather Watch

Post by Penniless Punter on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:18 pm

From the Sporting Life, Friday:

Chepstow's card was the first to go without clerk of the course Keith
Ottesen needing the scheduled 8am inspection, while even the
all-weather meetings at Wolverhampton and Lingfield were unable to cope
with the snow.

All three of Saturday's jumping fixtures at Taunton, Haydock and
Ascot have also been abandoned, leaving just the Kempton and Lingfield
Polytrack cards to try to beat the weather.

Wolverhampton's clerk Fergus Cameron took two checks during the
morning but the second inspection found Dunstall Park to be unraceable.

He said: "We have had getting on for two inches of snow already this
morning and unfortunately it is falling faster than we can keep up with
it.

"We are forecast a further deterioration of the weather and we've had no option but to call it off."

It was a similar situation at Lingfield, with clerk Neil MacKenzie
Ross forced to admit defeat after staging inspections at 8am, 10am and
11am.

He said: "While it is not particularly heavy snow, it is coming down
continuously which means we aren't able to keep the track safe and fit."

The track is also due to race on Saturday and a 7am inspection has been called to assess the conditions.

Sprinter Sacre was due to appear in the Victor Chandler Chase at
Ascot but the writing was on the wall well before a planned 4.30pm
inspection.

Clerk of the course Chris Stickels said: "We went out to take a look
just after 11.30am and the snow was still coming down very heavily.

"There are two inches of snow on parts of the track and we can't cope with that.

"We had an attempt to get one of the covers off, but there is so much snow on them already and there is more to come.

"If we didn't have covers down we wouldn't be raceable anyway."

"I think the BHA have got tentative plans to reschedule it to Cheltenham," he said.

Taunton's clerk of the course Michael Trickey said: "We have had about three inches of snow and it is still snowing now.

"It would be foolhardy to continue as temperatures are unlikely to
get above 1C today, so we would be snowbound and if it did thaw, we
would then be waterlogged as the ground is heavy and can't take any
more."

Kirkland Tellwright made an early call before an 8.30am inspection at
Haydock, and said: "We have to be realistic, we are white all over now
and could not race."

It looks unlikely Leicester or Wetherby will be racing on Tuesday, either.

Leicester's clerk Jimmy Stevenson has called an inspection for 9am on
Sunday with the turf partly frozen and under a blanket of snow.

He said: "It started snowing again an hour ago and we have two inches on the track now.

"The frost last night actually wasn't too bad, it only got down to
minus 2C, but I don't think temperatures are going to rise enough to get
rid of this snow.

"What we could do with is the snow turning to rain, as it clears
quite quickly when that happens, but it doesn't look like it will.

"It needs a miracle."

Officials at Wetherby are downbeat about Wetherby's chances on the same afternoon, and they will inspect at 11am on Sunday.

Clerk of the course Jonjo Sanderson said: "We have a covering of snow. It's not heavy, but it's no longer light.

"We are also frozen in one or two places and obviously there is further snow forecast for any time from tonight until Sunday.

"The daytime temperatures are only zero and the night time temperatures are around minus 1C.

"There is not enough optimism in that forecast to suggest we'll be racing on Tuesday I'm afraid."

There is also a 2pm Saturday inspection for the card at Fairyhouse on
Sunday, although the Irish course was in raceable condition at noon on
Friday.


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In London today snow has fallen steadily, enough to cast serious doubt on Lingfield and Kempton's meetings tomorrow sadly.
Right now I'd wager no racing again tomorrow in the UK.
This, unfortunately, would result in Hugo winning this week's comp!! Evil or Very Mad
I'm sure though we will soon recover from the shock and horror! Wink
Bare with while normality reconvenes! Laughing

Penniless Punter

Posts : 3820
Join date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by Penniless Punter on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Kempton ON!! Laughing

Penniless Punter

Posts : 3820
Join date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by Penniless Punter on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Heavy snow forecast for the South-East for tomorrow, colder temps and strong winds coming in off the Continent. Mad

Penniless Punter

Posts : 3820
Join date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by Patrick on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Cheltenhams card next saturday looks really good i hope at least the snow will have cleared by then. does anyone know when this snow is predicted to stop?

Patrick

Posts : 918
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by Penniless Punter on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Patrick wrote:Cheltenhams card next saturday looks really good i hope at least the snow will have cleared by then. does anyone know when this snow is predicted to stop?
Middle of next week warmer spell forecast I heard yesterday, Patrick. Let's hope so! Question

Penniless Punter

Posts : 3820
Join date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by Patrick on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:31 pm

phew lets hope so. ive got the week off from lectures so im so bored with no racing on

Patrick

Posts : 918
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by Penniless Punter on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Patrick wrote:phew lets hope so. ive got the week off from lectures so im so bored with no racing on
Not looking good, latest on Sunday from the Sporting Life site:

ourse officials initially gave the fixture the go-ahead but the situation deteriorated.
Acting clerk of the course Sarah Dunster said: "The temperatures have dropped quite a bit in half an hour.

"There is now freezing ice crystals in the track so we've made an early call to abandon."

Monday's meeting at Kempton is also in doubt as a 9am inspection on raceday morning has been called.

There is also an inspection at Wolverhampton ahead of their meeting on Monday.

With temperatures to remain below freezing, and further snow
forecast, track officials are taking no chances and have called a 6.30am
precautionary inspection on raceday morning

Clerk of the course Fergus Cameron said: "We had snow Friday and worked the track, which improved significantly on Saturday.

"It just seems sensible, given the situation, to check early morning."

The meeting at Leicester was Tuesday's first casualty and was joined on Sunday by the meeting at Wetherby.

Course officials made the straightforward call following an inspection on Sunday morning.

The track is covered in snow and still frozen, with the two-day forecast offering no cause for optimism.

Clerk of the course Jonjo Sanderson said: "The snow is not going to
shift and there is more on its way. It was a fairly easy decision and
there was no point in prolonging the agony."

There are also meeting scheduled for Wolverhampton and Lingfield but the latter is already subject to an inspection at 2pm on Monday.

Clerk of the course Neil MacKenzie Ross will assess conditions due to the prospect of further snow at the Surrey circuit.

MacKenzie Ross said: "It's snowing again (on Sunday morning), but we have all day on Monday to prepare for Tuesday.

"Looking at the forecast, though, there is quite a real threat of
snow on Monday afternoon. That could send us back to square one."

There are meetings scheduled at Ayr, Catterick, Exeter, Kempton, Limerick and Lingfield for Wednesday but the card at Catterick
is unlikely to beat the weather with clerk of the course Fiona Needham
saying: "We have three inches of snow on the track and the ground was
frozen before that fell, so we need a minor miracle.

"Looking at the forecast the temperatures aren't due to rise at all
for the next couple of days, so we're looking a bit forlorn."

It is a similar scenario at Fakenham on Thursday with snow lying and more forecast.

Clerk of the course David Hunter said: "I've been away since Thursday and just got back and nothing has changed at all.

"We have not had the extreme cold we had early on last week, but the
forecast is for more snow and I'm pretty sure we will be able to make
the decision one way or the other on Tuesday.

"It might depend on Sunday night whether we do get snow and what the temperatures are.

"If it deteriorates I would bring the inspection forward if need be.

"We just have to hope and pray the forecasters may have got something wrong."



Penniless Punter

Posts : 3820
Join date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by hugo on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am

Wolverhampton is on I believe =)
avatar
hugo

Posts : 587
Join date : 2012-12-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by Penniless Punter on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Wolverhampton looking good so far again tomorrow, though inspection at Lingfield.
News from Sporting Life on the hopes for the rest of the week:

Ayr had been hoping to race on Wednesday after the British
Horseracing Authority awarded them an extra meeting, but snow now
features in their forecast.

Clerk of the course Emma Marley said: "We are perfectly raceable at present. We were 1C overnight and 2C yesterday.

"However, the forecast is for light snow tonight and into tomorrow morning, one to two centimetres.

"We'll have a better idea of our chances in the morning, but the forecast is slightly problematic.

"All we can do is wait and see as it is coming in from the east coast and it is quite heavy over there."

Catterick's meeting, also on Wednesday, has already been abandoned after an inspection.

Clerk of the course Fiona Needham said: "It has not actually been
that cold over the weekend, but it's snowing again as we speak and it's
not going to improve.

"Our next meeting is February 1 so let's hope things have improved by then!"

Turf meetings at Leicester and Wetherby on Tuesday had already been lost to the weather but there is a chance of racing at Exeter on Wednesday, although they need the forecast to go their way.

"We've got a glimmer of hope," said clerk of the course Barry Johnson who will inspect at 8am on Tuesday.

"We're not too sure what's going to fall overnight, it could easily
be snow which would give us no chance, but it may be rain or sleet which
would help shift the snow.

"It depends on tomorrow morning and we'll know by 8am."

Warwick's meeting on Thursday has already been abandoned after an
impromptu 11am inspection was called by clerk of the course Sulekha
Varma.

Varma said: "It was fairly simple really. We've got five to six
inches of snow on the course and the forecast is suggesting we are going
to be -4C or -5C overnight and not getting above freezing during the
day.

"There is no prospect of it thawing out enough for us to be able to
get on the track and get it fit for racing in time for Thursday.

"It was fairly easy to make an early call on it."

Varma is also the clerk at Huntingdon, which is due to race on Friday but will inspect at 9.30am on Wednesday.

"We are holding a watching brief there and hope things improve in time with the meeting being on Friday," she said.

"There is at least two to three inches of snow across the site which is enough to cause a problem."

Doncaster race on Friday and Saturday, with Friday's meeting subject to a 10am inspection on Wednesday.

"The grass is in very good condition under the snow, but the question
is whether the thaw will come in time and more snow is falling now,"
said course spokeswoman Kate Hills.

"We will do everything we can, but a lot depends upon whether temperatures rise and by how much."

All eyes are on Cheltenham, however, which is due to stage Festival Trials Day on Saturday.

Clerk of the course Simon Claisse describes the meeting as "being in
the balance" and expects a better idea of prospects by Wednesday
morning.

"The course remains raceable under the covers. The temperatures are
below freezing and there is a just a touch of very light snow in the
air," he said.

"There is the chance we will get further light snow tomorrow with
temperatures beginning to get better by Thursday/Friday and rain on
Saturday.

"I think it is still very much in the balance at this stage.

"We will remove the covers when most of the snow has thawed and that
is where we need the help of not too much more snow tomorrow and milder
air by the end of the week.

"I think the next crucial stage in our thinking will be after we have
had the snow that's forecast for tomorrow and tomorrow night.

"I think we will have a pretty good idea as to the way it's heading on Wednesday morning."



Penniless Punter

Posts : 3820
Join date : 2012-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Weather Watch

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum