Why Am I So Crap At This?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why Am I So Crap At This?

Post by Penniless Punter on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Constructive comments only if you please.

Penniless Punter

Back to top Go down

Re: Why Am I So Crap At This?

Post by upduck on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:54 pm

You generally look for the long-shots. They are long-shots for a reason. Sometimes you can find one that is way too big on price for it's form, but these are not as common. But when you do find that 33/1, 50/1 etc the rewards are great.
I look for shorter priced tips and often find myself wondering why. 
Don't really think there is a real answer to finding the winners....you find a formula/strategy/both and see if it works.  study

upduck

Back to top Go down

Post by Penniless Punter on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Cheers Steve, thanks for your thoughts. Very Happy

Penniless Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by MSC on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:02 am

Ha ha!  I agree with Steve.  You seem to go for high odds neddies which are high risk, which is great when they come in, and not so great when they don't.  Bookies aren't daft.  I don't know how you choose - do you look at odds?  Do you just pick names, or are you just a high risk, high gain sort of character?  I have noticed that my picks are less high risk (ie shorter odds) but I still can't resist the lure of a nicely named or relevant to me type named horse, as long as he has a good jockey on board.  I have always favoured second or third favourites, but I guess that, Charles, the good communist that you are, you want distribution of monies to all, equally - bookies and all!  Problem with this is, you have to be rich to start!  Can I borrow a million pounds please?   Very Happy 

The upside of all this is that here, we can have a laugh about it, because nobody really loses.  Good luck!

MSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Penniless Punter on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I guess I look for what I consider value, Angela. I admit I do tend to dismiss most favourites always looking for another angle. I look for horses which ran promisingly last time out, (on commentaries I heard), or others I think may improve from their form figures. I tend not to be very influenced by jockey or trainer but do have a few favourites. I guess I kinda go for the underdogs if you like.
Blatantly all this doesn't work!!
It is fact backing only favourites doesn't give an overall profit. I guess I take that to extremes.
As a communist I would get rid of money altogether.
Unworkable, the cry.
I argue it would work if a majority wanted it universally.

"The upside of all this is that here, we can have a laugh about it, because nobody really loses"
This is true and the beauty of the comp. Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing 

Thanks for your comments, Angela.
Maybe the truth is I'm just rubbish at this game, I don't know why that should necessarily be so though.
In any race the horses all start with equal chances, theoretically anyway.
Whichever runs best on the day usually triumphs. Form is rarely maintained over  more than 2/3 runs, so pretty much pinsticking is as good a selection method as any.
Sometimes I feel it's all guesswork really.
Or I'm just born unlucky as far as horse-racing goes.
I do enjoy it all still though, the picking and the actual racing.
If there is a way to beat the bookie I've not heard of anyone doing it successfully  for very long.
Aye, there's the rub!!
 Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing 
 lol!  lol!  lol!

Penniless Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by MSC on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:00 pm

My other half rubbishes betting on the horses.  He once went on a boys weekend to Ireland and one of the lads was really into racing and suggested (over several pints of the black stuff!) that they should bet on the horses (they went riding! LOL.  Fat boys on horses!) he said " I'll prove to you what nonsense betting is". Put twenty quid on a random horse, which of course, won!  the guy who was really into it, said "pick the next race" and he said "no - that's the whole point - it was Luck - purely random, I don't know anything about horses! I just picked one and was lucky"   Anyway - they drank his winnings, so there was some benefit!

MSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Penniless Punter on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:09 am

When I left school in '72 I had 7 months unemployed during which time I befriended an old man in the Plymouth bus station cafe, (where all the yobs and misfits gathered), who introduced me to betting and took me into a Ladbrokes shop for the first ever time.
Every time someone new came into that cafe and he was there with his Daily Mirror, if they were approachable he would ask them to select a horse out of the entire day's races.
Most folk obliged, and it was amazing how frequently the beginner's luck theory worked out, for which he'd buy the bemused person a cup of coffee while delighting in the good fortune,

Penniless Punter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum